Wednesday 8 June 2011

Farting Camels and Making Money from Hot air

Today I read one of the most amusing stories I have seen for a while, the story was in The Register and can be found at this link:


Essentially the story is about an Australian who has made a proposal to cull feral camels. The buisness case is that as each camel emits around 45 Kg of methane per year (which is about 25 times more harmful to the enviroment than carbon dioxide) it roughly the equivalent of 1 tonne of carbon dioxide he has removed from the atmosphere and so he should be issued with 1 carbon credit for each camel culled by the government.

Carbon credits can now be sold and exchanged and I believe that the current is around $20 per credit (or 1 tonne of carbon dioxide). I think that is a fantastic idea and believe that it could easily be taken one step further.

My proposal is this, a dairy cow emits around 120Kg of methane each year (equivalent of about 3 tonnes of carbon dioxide). Therefore for each dairy cow that I don't breed I should be credited with 3 carbon credits per year of life of the cow. As cow can comfortably live to 10 years old I think that a value of 30 credits per cow is perfectly acceptable.

I would happily agree in writing to not breed 50 cows a year in exchange for a total of 1500 carbon credits. To help with the economy I would be more than willing to sell these credits for $10 each to UK companies to me a give a modest supplementary income of $15000 a year!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment